Saturday 24 July 2010

Two poems

by Laus Strandby Nielsen

Idyll

Let it be now. Good old now. While the cat is asleep, and the mice are gnawing at the electric cables. Before the wide-awake deep water turns into a sleepless puddle. While the background still keeps in the background and there is peace and quiet in the freezer.


Melancholy

Just after dinner time the phone rings while I am cooking. It’s a faithless old friend who wants to sell me a garden sofa. I get rid of him by promising to call him back later. But when I actually do – having made certain that the garden is still there and still does not have time to talk to me – I get a consultant on the line:
- You only need one battery, so it should all work fine, and now allow me to let you in on a secret, young man: If you keep what you promise, you will have your hands full!
- Young man! I think, hang up and give my dinner to the house pet, my little bear, who eats it with relish. He is cute and strong, my bear, and he will never be quite tame.

translated from Danish by David McDuff

from: Hvis der ikke er sandstorme, så er der nok noget andet, Gyldendal, 2010

No comments: